Test of Oral English Proficiency (TOEP)
TOEP Information Sessions
Learn more about the TOEP - what test takers need to do to prepare, what happens during the test, and how the test is scored. There will be two info sessions in Spring 2017; your participation is optional, but it is recommended that you attend one of the sessions, especially if you are preparing to take the TOEP for the first time.
Thursday, June 1, 12:00-1:00 in 1360 The Grove (Surge III)
Friday, June 2, 2:00-3:00 in 1360 The Grove (Surge III)
The TOEP is used to test the oral English ability of non-native English speaking graduate students in order to determine their eligibility for working as teaching assistants (TAs). TAs need to have exceptional oral English skills so that they can effectively communicate with students. The TOEP assesses these communication skills with a 20-minute classroom simulation.
For a complete TOEP guide, please click here.
The TOEP is offered at the end of each quarter. It is recommended that students take the TOEP as early as possible and not wait until the quarter before they want to work as a TA. TOEP scores are made available to all test takers and their departments about a week after the test date.
There will be a few TOEP dates throughout the 2017 Spring Quarter:
April 25, April 27, May 3, May 4, May 17, and May 25
Students who took the TOEP last quarter (Winter 2017) are not eligible to take the TOEP on the above dates.
The end-of-quarter TOEP dates for the 2017 Spring Quarter are now available:
June 7, June 9, June 12, June 13, and June 14
Students must register for the TOEP at least one week prior to the exam date. Registration closes seven days before each exam date. TOEP Registration is first come, first served. Students who register early will have the best opportunity to find a time that works the best for their schedules. IAE cannot accommodate every student's individual schedule, so students need to plan ahead and register for the TOEP as early as possible.
To take the TOEP on one of the test dates listed above, please complete the following steps:
- Register for a test session using the testing calendar at https://appointments.ucdavis.edu/?calendar=140. When you register, you will be asked the reason for your appointment. You can just enter "TOEP" as the appointment reason.
- Read about the TOEP and how to prepare for it: TOEP Overview. Note: Students who have not sufficiently prepared for all parts of the TOEP will not be permitted to take the test.
- Download the sample class document here: Spring 2017 Sample Class Document.
- Prepare for the TOEP. You may want to meet with an IAE Language & Culture Coach to practice.
- Report to 1350 The Grove 15 minutes prior to your testing appointment. Bring your copy of the sample class document and your Student ID.