All new graduate students must take an English language course (UWP 225* or UWP 226) during their first academic year, unless:
- The student has a college degree from an approved English-medium institution, as confirmed with the UC Davis Office of Graduate Studies; or
- The student has a TOEFL (iBT) score of 105 or higher or IELTS score of 7.5 or higher; or
- The student scored 24 or higher on the TOEFL (iBT) writing and 23 or higher on the TOEFL (iBT) speaking.
These courses help non-native English speaking graduate students to have the language skills they need for their graduate studies. It's recommended that incoming graduate students who don't meet the above criteria sign up to take either UWP 225* or UWP 226 as early as possible. Students should speak with their graduate advisors if they have any questions about which course is best for them. Students who do not meet this requirement may not sit for their Qualifying Examination until the requirement has been met.
Graduate-Level English Language Course Descriptions
- UWP 225*: English for International/ESL Graduate Students (4 units)
UWP 225 is a 4-unit multi-skills course designed to help international graduate students improve their writing, speaking, listening, reading, and understanding of American academic culture as needed for successful academic work at UC Davis. UWP 225 is one of the courses that can be used to meet the First Year Course Requirement. UWP 225 is offered Fall and Winter Quarters.Students are graded on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis given completion of ALL required assignments and a score of 70% or higher for total course points.
- UWP 226: Writing for International Graduate Students (3 units)
UWP 226 is a 3-unit writing course designed for students whose primary language is not English. Course topics include academic literacy, genre awareness and analysis, production of authentic texts, portfolio/project development, and reflective writing practices. UWP 226 is one of the courses that can be used to meet the First Year Course Requirement. UWP 226 is offered in Winter and Spring Quarters.
Students are graded on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis given completion of ALL required assignments and a score of 70% or higher for total course points.
- UWP 391*: Oral English for ESL Students (3 units)
- UWP 391 is a 3-unit course designed particularly for teaching assistants and potential teaching assistants. It provides intensive work in oral English to increase fluency, accuracy, and use of appropriate discourse strategies in academic settings (e.g., seminar, discussion, laboratory). While this course may not be used to satisfy the First Year Course Requirement, it helps TAs and potential TAs increase their ability to use English effectively in teaching. This course is highly recommended for students who are working to pass the TOEP exam.
Please click here to read the official policy.
*Please note that UWP 225 is listed as UWP 25 in Fall 2018 and UWP 391 is listed as LIN 391 in Fall 2018.