Language & Culture Coaching for ITAs
EDU 198: Language & Culture Coaching for International Teaching Assistants (ITAs) is designed to help multilingual graduate students develop the oral skills needed to communicate effectively as TAs.
Students have the opportunity to explore and develop their skills and competencies related to American English pronunciation, vocabulary, pragmatics, classroom management, discourse management, and other related topics.
Instruction is delivered through a combination of one-on-one training with a Language & Culture Coach, group coaching with an Instructor, and online coaching through Canvas.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How do I schedule to meet with a Language & Culture Coach?
- Fill out a request by clicking the registration button above. In your request, you will share your scheduling availability and some basic information about yourself. After you submit your request, you will receive a CRN for the EDU 198 course you should register for (Language & Culture Coaching for ITAs) and instructions on your next steps.
- How often will I meet with the Language & Culture Coach?
- Most students meet with their coach once a week. Each session is 50 minutes.
- Who are the Language & Culture Coaches?
- The coaches are UCD undergraduate students who are trained to support international graduate students on topics in language and culture. They are friendly, attentive, and dedicated to helping graduate students improve and succeed!
- What would I work on with a coach?
- During your first session with your coach, you will complete a self-assessment, set some goals with your coach, and develop a plan for how you will meet those goals. Topics must be related to your current or future work as a TA and may include pronunciation, vocabulary, U.S. culture, presentation skills, organization, and other related topics.
- When should I sign up?
- To meet with a coach on an ongoing basis, you must sign up by the third week of the quarter. If you would like to meet with a coach for three times or fewer, you may submit a request at any time.
- Do I have to sign up for the course?
Yes, if you would like to participate in this program, you must enroll in the course. If you would like to meet with a coach for three times or fewer, you can submit a request without being registered for the course, but all coaching assignments are subject to availability.
- Can I meet with a coach to practice for the TOEP?
Yes, if you would like to practice your TOEP presentation with a coach in three or fewer sessions, you can submit a request to meet with a coach, and you do NOT need to register for the EDU 198 course. Please note that TOEP practice sessions are subject to availability.