About Language & Culture Coaching
IAE's Language & Culture Coaches help international teaching assistants (ITAs) or prospective ITAs improve their English language skills and acclimate to life at UC Davis. As a UCD graduate student, you can meet with a Language & Culture Coach to:
- Receive one-on-one English lessons focused on speaking and pronunciation,
- Practice a specific feature of English that you want to improve,
- Learn about culture and communication in the U.S.,
- Receive feedback on presentations or lessons,
- Talk about academic terms and classroom practices in the U.S., and/or
- Practice for the TOEP.
Meeting with a Language & Culture Coach is free!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How do I schedule to meet with a Language & Culture Coach?
- Fill out a request by clicking the "Request a Coach" button above. In your request, you will share what times work for you and how often you'd like to meet with a coach. After you submit your request, you will receive an email from Emily Montgomery with the name of your coach and the time for your first meeting.
- How often will I meet with the Language & Culture Coach?
- You can choose how frequently you want to meet with a Coach. Most students will arrange to meet with a Coach one hour per week while some students may prefer to work with a Coach for just one session to help them prepare for something specific like the TOEP.
- Who are the Language & Culture Coaches?
- The Coaches are UCD undergraduate students who are trained to support international graduate students on topics in language and culture. They are friendly, attentive, and dedicated to helping students improve and succeed!
- What would I work on with a coach?
- During your first session with your coach, you will set goals together, and then your coach will develop lessons to help you meet those goals in your subsequent sessions.
- When should I sign up?
- We start a new coaching schedule every quarter, so the start of a new quarter is the best time to register, but you can submit a request at any time.