Language & Culture Coaching for ITAs
This program is designed to help multilingual graduate students develop their oral English skills so they can communicate effectively as TAs.
Students have the opportunity to explore and develop their skills and competencies related to American English pronunciation, vocabulary, pragmatics, classroom management, discourse management, and other related topics.
Instruction is delivered through a one-unit EDU 198 course. Participation in this course includes a combination of one-on-one training with a Language & Culture Coach, group coaching with an Instructor, and online coaching through Canvas. All course participants are scheduled and expected to attend weekly one-on-one coaching sessions.
Students interested in participating in coaching should click the button at the top of this page to submit a request form.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How do I schedule to meet with a Language & Culture Coach?
- Click the button at the top of this page and fill out a request form by the third week of the quarter. In the request form, you will share your scheduling availability and some basic information about yourself. After you submit your request form, you will receive an email with directions on the next steps you need to take to complete your registration and receive your coaching schedule.
- How often will I meet with the Language & Culture Coach?
- Most students meet with their coach once a week throughout the quarter. Each session is 50 minutes.
- Who are the Language & Culture Coaches?
- The coaches are UCD undergraduate students who are trained to support international graduate students on topics in language and culture. They are friendly, attentive, and dedicated to helping graduate students improve and succeed!
- What would I work on with a coach?
- During your first session with your coach, you will complete a self-assessment, set some goals with your coach, and develop a plan for how you will meet those goals. Topics must be related to your current or future work as a TA and may include pronunciation, vocabulary, U.S. culture, presentation skills, organization, and other related topics.
- When should I sign up?
- To meet with a coach on a weekly basis, you must sign up by the third week of the quarter. If you would like to meet with a coach for three times or fewer to practice for the TOEP, you may submit a request at any time.
- Do I have to sign up for the course?
Yes, if you would like to fully participate in this program, you must enroll in the course. If you would like to meet with a coach for three times or fewer, you can submit a request without being registered for the course, but all coaching assignments are subject to availability. Students in the course receive first priority.
- How is the coaching course graded?
The EDU 198 coaching course is graded as Pass/No Pass. Grades are based on your participation. See the course syllabus linked on this page for additional details.
- Can I meet with a coach to practice for the TOEP?
Yes, if you would like to practice your TOEP presentation with a coach in three or fewer sessions, you can submit a request to meet with a coach, and you do NOT need to register for the EDU 198 course. Please note that TOEP practice sessions are subject to availability.