April 30, 2020 Update:
The Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE) and the English Language Placement Exam (ELPE) have been cancelled and will not be offered during the 2020-2021 academic year. The UC Davis Academic Senate approved a plan for Writing Placement 2020, a new placement process, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
To learn more about Writing Placement 2020 and the next steps you need to take, please go to https://elw.ucdavis.edu/writingplacement.
If you obtained instructions from the ELTQ earlier this year that told you to register for the AWPE or ELPE, please know that those instructions are no longer valid and visit https://elw.ucdavis.edu/writingplacement for more information.
Terms and Definitions
- English Language Placement Exam (ELPE) (Not offered in 2020. Go here to learn more.)
- The English Language Placement Exam, also known as the ELPE, is a required online writing placement exam for all incoming international undergraduate students whose first language is not English and who have not met the University of California’s Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR). It is also required of multi-lingual domestic students who took and did not pass the Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE) and whose writing showed typical patterns consistent with speaking a second language. A student's ELPE score corresponds to the first UWP multilingual course they should enroll in.
- Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR)
- The Entry Level Writing Requirement, also known as the ELWR, is a requirement for all University of California undergraduate students, both international and domestic. Satisfaction of the ELWR demonstrates college-level proficiency in English composition and is a prerequisite to all other undergraduate writing courses. There are a variety of ways for multilingual students to satisfy this requirement. Students have limited amount of time to satisfy the ELWR after beginning their studies at UC Davis, or they could face disenrollment from the university.
- Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE) (Not offered in 2020. Go here to learn more.)
- The Analytical Writing Placement Exam, also known as the AWPE, is a statewide writing exam which, if passed, fulfills the University of California Entry-Level Writing Requirement. It is offered once a year to California high school seniors who intend to enter one of the University of California campuses. It is also offered three times a year on the UC Davis campus just before the beginning of fall, winter and spring quarters. The exam will be offered online and take place Saturday (3/28). The AWPE may be taken only once. Students who have been informed that they need to take the ELPE in their English Language Testing Questionnaire (Not offered in 2020) will not be permitted to take the AWPE.