The Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR) is a requirement that all University of California undergraduate students must satisfy. After completing the English Language Testing Questionnaire, multilingual international and national (out of state) first year students will be instructed to take the ELPE, the AWPE, or to submit scores that satisfy the ELWR.
A student's ELPE score places them into a UWP multilingual writing course. Starting in their first quarter, students are given a limited amount of time to complete their course sequence, ending with an ELWR satisfying course. Courses must be taken in order (one per quarter) until completion to satisfy the Entry Level Writing Requirement. Contact the Entry Level Writing department with questions regarding writing placement at email@example.com.
English Language Testing Glossary:
- Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR)
- The Entry Level Writing Requirement, also known as the ELWR, is a requirement for all University of California undergraduate students, both international and domestic. Satisfaction of the ELWR demonstrates college-level proficiency in English composition and is a prerequisite to all other undergraduate writing courses. There are a variety of ways for multilingual students to satisfy this requirement. Students have limited amount of time to satisfy the ELWR after beginning their studies at UC Davis, or they could face disenrollment from the university.
- English Language Placement Exam (ELPE)
- The English Language Placement Exam, also known as the ELPE, is a required online writing placement exam for all incoming international undergraduate students whose first language is not English and who have not met the University of California’s Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR). It is also required of multi-lingual domestic students who took and did not pass the Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE) and whose writing showed typical patterns consistent with speaking a second language. A student's ELPE score corresponds to the first UWP multilingual course they should enroll in.
- Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE)
- The Analytical Writing Placement Exam, also known as the AWPE, is a statewide writing exam which, if passed, fulfills the University of California Entry-Level Writing Requirement. It is offered once a year to California high school seniors who intend to enter one of the University of California campuses. It is also offered three times a year on the UC Davis campus just before the beginning of fall, winter and spring quarters. It must be taken in person and there is a fee of $110. The AWPE may be taken only once. Students who have been informed that they need to take the ELPE in their English Language Testing Questionnaire will not be permitted to take the AWPE.
- English Language Testing Questionnaire
- The English Language Testing Questionnaire is taken by incoming international first year students to help them find the best way to satisfy the Entry Level Writing Requirement in a timely manner and to register for the correct courses in Fall. Individualized instructions are given based on students' responses.
- ELWR Satisfying Course
- Students have a variety of course options available to satisfy the Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR). Read more about these course options on the Entry Level Writing website.